Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Robin on the Space Ship

All rights reserved; this copy is given to you.
For information on copies please contact:
Growing Together Counseling and Education
801 224 3001 http://www.GrowingTogetherCounseling.com


Robin entered the holideck cautiously.
This would be his first experiement with earth people.
In the safety of the holodeck he could
try out different kinds of behaviors and
decide which felt the most comfortable

Ted promised him that the experiences would be
very much like being around real humans and
the things Robin did would have consequences
very much like they would on earth.

Robin found himself entering a classroom full of boys and girls. The others were his age, some larger and some smaller than him. The teacher smiled and motioned for him to bring his papers from the office to her desk.

Class, this is Robin Spencer, she told the class, putting her hand on his sholder. Robin is new here in this city and I hope you will show him how considerate and friendly you can be. Robin would you like to tell us about yourself?

Robin felt himself flinch away from the unacustomed hand and step back as Ms. Oliver invited him to say something. He had not thought of anything to say. What if he said something really stupid sounding and everyone laughed at him. Or what if his voice didn't come out at all, and he just stood there moving his lips.

Robin looked down and away and shook his head. He just wanted to get into a desk and disappear behind a book. Why was she torturing him like this. Some of the kids were smiling and looking at each other. They must be talking about me. They think I am a geek. I'll never fit in.

Oh, this is awful. I never should have come here. I hate it here already. It's not fair, why did I have to come here, why does everything terrible happen to me.

The students in the class looked back at their work, and away from Robin. As Mrs. Oliver showed robin his desk and books, he heard some whispers and snickers, but no one looked at him.

End program: Robin commanded the computer.

"Oh, that was nice," he said sarcastically. "I felt like a looser the first minute I walked into the school. I knew it would snot work out."

Was it my clothes? Did I comb my hair wrong or have the wrong shoes?


Ted watched the video replay and gave Robin some pointers.

Robin, watch how you walked into the room. You did not look around, you looked down at the floor. When the teacher touched your sholder you pulled away like you were afraid of her touch. Look at her face. Does she look like she is going to hurt you or let anyone hurt you? Did you think she would give you a death grip on the sholder?

No. I'm just not used to anyone touching me. I didn't think about it. I just reacted. I can see in her face that it made her feel uncomfortable too.

What should I do if someone touches me?

How about, let them, if it just on the sholder or back. If they want to touch more than that like hug or hold hands, you can tell them clearly that you do not feel like hugging, but you will shake their hand, or you don't want to be touched just now. It is ok to tell people how you feel about touching. And it is ok to let people touch you in safe ways like shaking hands, or pat on the back or sholder.

OK,I got it. I can do that.

Now look at your face when whe asked you about yourself?

People like to know about other people, and it shows interest when they ask questions.

She gaves you a chance to let the class memebers know a little about you so they wouldn't have to be guessing and speculating about you. That would have been a good chance to look at them all in the eyes and say,

"Hello, I'm new here and I might do things differedntly from you. Please help me if I seem lost or confused."

The way you looked away, it seemed like you were stuck up or snobbish and the kids though that you think you are too good for them. They were afraid to look at you or talk to you after that because they thought you might not answer them. Kids are really afraid tshey will loose value if someone treats them like they are not important.

You want to be treated like you are valuable and important, just as they do. It can start with the way you look at other people.

When you walk back to your desk with the teacyher, look up and look into the other kids' faces. Smile if they look at you, and later when it is time, feel free to ask their names even more than once if you need to.

It is important to learn their names and use them often.

OK. Are you ready to try that part again. Computer, repeat program?

Robin again entered the classroom, newly asssigned to Mrs. Oliver's classroom. He looked up and looked around at the students as he entered. When he saw Mrs. Oliver he walked toward her as she beckoned him with her hand. He handed her his papers and said in a clear voice, loud enough to be heard plainly by her, but not so loud it would startle her, "Hello, I'm Robin Spencer. I have been assigned to your classroom. Here are my papers."

Ms. Oliver again put her hand on Robin's sholder to introduce him to the class. The touch still felt a little strange to him, but he resisted stepping away, and he looked at the classs and smiled as she repeated his name and a welcome.


When she asked if he would like to say anything to the class, he said, "It is sure good to be here. I am glad that you look friendly so that I will feel ok asking for help or directions if I get lost or confused."

The kids looked back at him and lauged in a friendly way as they nodded their approval. Walking back to his desk he looked into some of the students faces and saw smiles. He smiled back and began to notice the name tags across the front of their desks that would help him learn their names.

He breathed a sigh of releif. This is going to be ok. I already have friends here.

Computer pause program;

I think that was a lot better. I feel better about myself when I look at people and think of them as friendly instead of looking away and being afraid. I think they liked me better the second time because they could tell I wasn't a snob or snooty. I'm glad I had a chance to practice that. Lets go on.





Chapter 4.


The morning in the holigram classroom continued quickly as the class changed from the morning announcements to social studies, then math. The material was no problem for Robin, he had studied all of it before. He felt comfortable making coments to the boys in the desks near by and said, "is this all you do here, I have already studied all of this. You mean you don't know these things already? '

The boys looked away and looked down at their books. Robin sknew he had made some kind of mistake but didn't know just what had gone wrong. Suddenly the smiling friendly faces had turned sour and turned away in an unfriendly way.

Computer, pause the program.

Ted, what did I do wrong.? I can tell by their faces that I made a mistake.

I was doing all the things I practices, I looked at them and smiled and even knew some of the names of the boys near by.

When I made a comment about the material we had to work on something went wrong. Please help me figure out what it was.

Ted, studied that portion of hte video. Robin what did you say right there, there just before Mike looked away. "I said this stuff was easy and I had already studied it."


Look carefully at Michael's math paper. You can see it there on his desk in the video. He doesn't have the right answers. He is not even doing the right process. Michael doesn't think it is easy. He looks like you took a peice of him away when you said how easy it is for you. When people have a hard time with learning things, it is not friendly to tell them how easy it is.

How was I supposed to know he was dumb?

That's a judgment. Making judgments about people is another way to take something away from them. Michael isn't necessarily dumb just because he hasn't learned that part of math.

If I offered to help him , would that take anything away from him. Would that be friendly.

Some people like help and others resent it, You will have to be careful who you offer to help, and how you offer. If you sound like a "know it all" or sound like you think they are dumb, they will probably resent your help. But if you sound sincerely friendly and helpful, and do it in a way that shows concern and a desire to be helpful, they will probalby accept it as friendly.

Ok.. One step at a time. Computer repeat the classroom scene starting with the math lesson:

Wow, Robin, are you finished already?

Yes, I have already studied this part of math. It was really hard for me at first, and I had to have a lot of help, but when I practiced with someone, I started to understand it, and Ilearned how to do it. It's kind of fun for me now. Would you like me to help you practice it?

I'm always in trouble at math time. Michaeel answered. The teacher goes too fast, and then I get confused. Can you explain it to me in a different way.

OK, Michael, how much of it do you already understand. Well, look you are doing most of it by yourself already. The next part is the tricky part. Watch, and we'll do it together at first, then you can try it by yourself.

They each worked the problem out on the paper, comparing steps as they went along. "That's right, Michael, you got it. I knew you could understand it. Now let's try another one to be sure you remember all the steps. sThat was really great. Mrs. Oliver will be pleased to see that you are able to keep up. I'm glad she lets us work together. I learned a lot by helping you too.

Michael and Robin continued to work silently on the rest of the morning's assignments until it was time for recess.

__________________

Chapter 5

Robin was glad for the chance to streatch his legs and get a drink of water. The morning had gone fast the second time through and he was feeling good just to be a part of the small group of boys that he sat around. "This isn't going to be so bad," he thought smiling and waling toward the door. I think I will try to get to know some of the other boys."

He watched a group from his class join with some others in a game of basket ball. He knew the rules and had tried a few practice shots so he walked over and stood on the side of the court. He waited quetly while the boys chose up teams quickly. They started to play but did not choose him for a team. He watched the ball going back and forth betyween the players and the laughing and shouthing reminded him of other times and places when he had been involved with friends and game. He began to feel very lonley and his face changed to a sad look. He felt uncomfortable and alone in the alien world. No one seemed to care about making him a part of their game. "I guess it is not as friendly here as I had thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment